Electrical Engineer Slip Ring Product Engineer
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
|Pay Rate : ||$ 80,000.00 - 90,000.00 /Year|
|Job Classification:||Electrical Engineer|
Electrical Engineer Slip Ring Product Engineer
Reports to Engineering Manager
Ideal target candidate is someone with 6-12 years of experience.
Most critical for candidates to have the following::
Design and develop sliding contact slip rings based on customer specifications, industry standards and regulatory requirements such as UL and CE mark specifications.
Design slip rings for higher power AC and DC power used for motors, pumps, etc.
Design and develop products using high frequency and RF design principles and shielding.
General data communication methods and general electronic circuit design.
Knowledge of electrical circuits and data transfer methods (Ethernet, Profinet, Profibus, etc
The Product Engineer performs functions to design new products, improve existing products to
meet company objectives, perform testing for proof of product integrity, reduce costs and
improve product quality.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop sliding contact slip rings based on customer specifications, industry standards and regulatory requirements such as UL and CE mark specifications.
- Design and develop products using high frequency and RF design principles and shielding.
- Component and material research and selection based on the product requirements.
- Product validation, HALT (highly accelerated life testing), verification and compliance testing using motor drives, multimeters, hi-pot (high potential) tester, oscilloscope, etc.
- Product support through all phases of the life cycle.
- Application support of slip ring product line through customer discussions via email, phone call, WebEx, and personal visits.
- Develop and test new concepts and materials as needed for new products, improvements and cost reductions.
- Review project assignments with supervisor to establish project objectives, schedules and costs as related to product quality, cost and performance.
- Interface effectively with repair department to analyze product returns and implement design modifications to continuously improve product quality.
- Analyze and determine possible failure modes and establish a project plan of action to effectively increase reliability.
- Apply DFM (design for manufacturability)/DFA (design for assembly) to products as needed; prepare piece part drawings and enter manufacturing orders.
- Locate and place orders with vendors of component parts to assist with design projects.
- Build prototype models and perform required testing to meet project needs.
- Analyze test results and prepare project reports with recommendation for company action.
- Interact effectively with Product Designers and Drafters to develop new designs and new product specifications.
- Develop and establish test methods and procedures for mechanical and electrical systems as assigned. Design and modify test fixtures as required.
- Perform product analysis calculations relating to product design needs and new product orders.
- Analyze and determine discrepant material disposition.
- Respond to customer telephone or email inquiries on matters relating to applications and new products.
- Assist international subsidiaries and domestic sales people with technical questions.
- Make sales calls with Sales representatives at customer sites.
- Develop and design new mechanical and electrical products following project manager objectives.
- Assist manufacturing and assembly on prototype builds.
- Initiate engineering change orders as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Requires a Bachelor's of Science degree in Electrical (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be required to continuously sit, talk,
keyboard, and frequently walk. The employee must be able to lift up to 20 pounds maximum.
The common frequent weight is 5-10 pounds. Specific vision requirements of this job include
close distance and color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Knowledge of quality assembly and soldering practices and methods.
- Design slip rings for higher power AC and DC power used for motors, pumps, etc.
- General data communication methods and general electronic circuit design.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customer and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to convert between imperial and metric measurements.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a small cross-functional engineering team.
- Ability to design new products through use of CAD techniques, calculations, and testing.
- Ability to perform basic soldering and assembly of electrical and mechanical components.
- Knowledge of electrical circuits and data transfer methods (Ethernet, Profinet, Profibus, etc.)
- Knowledge of test methods to verify electrical performance of products (signal noise, impedance, dielectric withstanding, etc.)
- Ability to perform MTBF and FMEA calculations.